gEDA-user: xinstall problems -- otherwise impressive

Hi All,

I've checked previous threads and have been unable to find similar
problems reported by others, and am curious to see if there is something
i am overlooking.

when i try to run xinstall, i receive the following:
[snip]
Checking for tar ...
Checking for gcc ...
Checking for wget ...
Checking for libglib ...
Checking for libgtk ...
Checking for geda-setup ...
Starting geda-setup ...
./setup.sh: line 116:   760 Segmentation fault      ./${DIR_PREFIX}setup
make: *** [xinstall] Error 139
[/snip]

also- i downloaded and am trying to setup using version 20030901.  when
i try xinstall, it downloads and compiles version 20030525.  what do i
have to do to stop that?  it gives me messages about setup.cfg and
setup.sh, which are both present in the 20030901 version directory...  i
read the makefile and they are exactly where it expects them to be.

i have compiled each package the old-fashioned way and am having limited
success.  when attempting to create pcb layouts, i receive the
following: sh: line 1: pcb: command not found

Thanks a lot for any info. I'm looking forward to getting into this
environment if i can hammer out the small issues i'm running into now.

regards,

phil