Re: gEDA-user: General ground/power plane design questions

On Wednesday 20 October 2004 12:21 pm, Karel Kulhavy wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 09:07:48AM -0700, Steve Meier wrote:
> > Second, the power and ground planes should be inner layers. But for your
> > frequencies I don't think you wil see many issues.
>
> Why?

Why should power and ground planes be inner layers?  Because the board maker
has a problem keeping a whole plane of copper attached to an outer layer.  As
it heats and cools, it keeps trying to curl up and pull off of the board.  On
an inner layer it is going to stay put.

Some board makers will divide up any large copper area on the top or bottom of
the board to prevent this from happening.

Having those two sentences back to back made it sound like I meant the
placement of the planes and the frequency of operation are related, but I did
not mean it that way.

Daniel