Re: gEDA-user: Topics discussed at yesterday's Free Dog meeting (10.6.2005)

Hi Stuart and all,

	As usual, many thanks to Stuart for writing up these notes.

[snip]
>In particular, it makes it easy to connect two points which lie far
>away from one another on a diagonal.
>
>We all agreed to thank David Carr and Werner Hoch for this most
>excellent new feature!

	Yeah, I like the L nets very much after working with them for a little
bit.  The only thing I think I would like to add is:

	if you end a net on a pin, then the net drawing should stop
	(ie you shouldn't get any more rubberbanding net segments).

Comments?

>*  Another gschem topic:  There is some interest in a version of
>gschem which doesn't run the GUI.  This feature would be useful for
>scripted applications.   Ales is going to post a script that demos
>an alternative method (virtual buffer?)

	Yeah, for generating postscript, a standalone program should be
fairly trivial, but for png, I'm not so sure.  Maybe with the png output
work that Carlos is exploring would make this much easier to implement.

	As for how to use the virtual framebuffer X server, this is how
I use it:

killall Xvfb
Xvfb :1 -screen 0 1280x1024x32 &
export DISPLAY=:1.0

gschem  -o output.ps -s print.scm filename.sch

>  --  I will also create a graphic showing the design flow to create a
>      PC board, starting from gschem, and going through PCB.  Expect
>      to see this on the wiki soon!

	Stuart was kind enough to draw up the flow (in gschem even!) and
I have placed it here:

http://geda.seul.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=geda:faq#what_does_the_design_flow_in_geda_look_like

	I still haven't gotten the graphic perfect, but it's a reasonable
start.

								-Ales