gEDA-user: Panelizing and other Gerber manipulations

What (free software) tools are there for doing Gerber manipulations
such as panelizing, mirroring, etc.?  Or should I be doing these
things within PCB instead?  (Select all, copy to buffer, mirror/rotate
buffer, paste from buffer, etc.  The problem with this is making sure
everything is aligned precisely on the board outlines, I guess.)  And
forgive my ignorance, but how do I specify the right tool for
v-scoring the boards, vs. routing them completely, vs. perforating,
etc.?  Does this depend on the manufacturer?

TIA,

--
Randall