gEDA-user: Build problems on FC4

Hello,

I have been working on the test/validation station, trying to find the
build bugs which seem to be plaguing the most recent editions of the
gEDA CD ROM.

I am nowhere done with this process, but I have found the following.
I record this info here so that folks Googling around for solutions
will find it.

*  I always recommend installing the "workstation" edition of FC, and
not the "personal" or "desktop" edition.  The remarks below pertain to
the "workstation" installation.

*  Starting with FC4, RedHat has apparently split the guile package
into two parts: guile and guile-devel.  Unfortunately, gEDA/gaf (and
the CD ROM installer) relies upon using the program guile-config,
which is in guile-devel.  Unfortunately, guile-devel is not installed
as part of the normal installation.  Why did RedHat do this?!?!?

In any event, before trying to install gEDA -- either with the CD
installer or manually -- you need to install guile-devel.  The RPM
lives on the FC4 disk 4, in the folder Fedora/RPMs.

I will fix the next edition of the install disk to look for this
dumb situation and then re-install guile if it is present.  Meanwhile,
users will need to manually install guile-devel.

*  Similarly, starting with FC4, RedHat has apparently split the
gettext package into two parts: gettext and gettext-devel.
Unfortunately,  gschem needs stuff from the gettext-devel package,
which is not installed as part of the normal installation.  What's
going on at RedHat anyway?!?!  They're saving about 1MB of disk space
by omitting this package, so what's the point!?!?!?

In any event, before trying to install gEDA -- either with the CD
installer or manually -- you need to install gettext-devel.  The RPM
lives on the FC4 disk 4, in the folder Fedora/RPMs.

I will fix the next edition of the install disk to look for this
dumb situation and then re-install gettext if it is present.  Meanwhile,
FC4 users will need to manually install gettext-devel from the RPM on
the CD.

As I work through this process, I will post my findings here for
others to find.  Thanks to Ales for supplying the FC4 disks!  Also,
thanks to Daniel Wisehart for supplying a set of SuSE 9.3 disks (which
I will be reporting on very soon)!

Stuart

install wizard missing package not present compile bug Red Hat