Re: gEDA-user: Schottky diode?

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 10:35:32PM -0400, al davis wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 October 2006 15:59, John Coppens wrote:
> > I was (trying to) simulate a switching power supply,
>
> A warning ...  ngspice has some problems with its step size
> control that sometimes gives wrong results, particularly on
> circuits like switch mode power supplies.  The problem is shows
> with circuits that switch between two very different time
> constants, requiring a sudden change of internal step size.
> Often, it will just slip by, with no indication that anything
> is wrong, giving believable but incorrect results.
>
> gnucap 0.34 had a similar problem, but would usually report
> nonconvergence instead.  Since it used the same algorithm that

Or "open internal node"?

My experience with Gnucap is that when the weather is not right then
it suddenly stops working with "open internal node". Then I either need
to change the circuit randomly, or take a soldering iron and oscilloscope.
That's the best simulation - our universe is a computer with huge computing
power :)

But I don't say SPICE doesn't do this, I almost never use SPICE, because
Gnucap has cooler image for me :)

CL<