Re: gEDA-user: bending design rules for TSSOP20 -- need advice

Here is the rule in question from PCBexpress web site:

Solder mask swell is at least .008 larger than copper surfaces to keep mask off pads.

Am I interpreting that correctly? That I need .008 all around the copper pad? Or is a mask .008 wider than the pad sufficient?

-dave

Dave N6NZ wrote:
Thought I just saw a thread on this topic, but I deleted the whole works and can't find it in the archives.

I'm trying to reconcile a data sheet for a TSSOP-20, 0.65mm lead pitch package with PCBexpress's design rules. The problem: 26mil l.p. and 10mil pad width leaves 16mil btw pads. The rule: "8mil between mask and copper" leaves exactly 0 mils of mask between pins.

So.... can I bend something here and get a reasonable board? Something like: go to an 8mil pad width so that I get 2mil of mask in between. Pad is too skinny, but I guessing should reflow well... those of you with more experience than me at SMT need to clue me up. Will 2mil of mask be too skinny to work well? Other option: live with no mask between pins and hope I don't bridge.

Thoughts?

-dave