Re: gEDA-user: Making a board: what's next?

On 10/5/07, James Moody <moody@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A couple of questions:
>
> (1) How do I mark drill holes for mounting the fabricated board? Are
> they just vias?

I use mounting hardware footprints. I use the silkscreen to draw
hex-nuts and washers.
Having the hardware outlines is useful so that you do not position components
to close to mounting hardware. Do not forget to leave room for any tools you may
need to fasten the mounting hardware (socket driver, open-end wrench, etc)

My mounting hardware footprints are in the hardware section of ---

http://www.luciani.org/geda/pcb/pcb-footprint-list.html

> (2) How do I indicate the size of the board?  Right now I just drew a
> silkscreen border.

I use pcbexpress and I place a 1mil trace around the perimeter of the board
on the component side (top) of the board.

> (3) The next step if fabrication, can a company like pcbexpress.com
> handle output from the gEDA suite? Or are there other companies known to
> be gEDA-friendly?

I have done six or seven orders with pcbexpress.com without problems.
They are very pleasant to deal with. My comments
are at http://www.luciani.org/getting-it-done/getting-it-done-index.html

(* jcl *)

--
http://www.luciani.org