Re: gEDA-user: first impressions on gaf v1.2.0

On Sat, 2007-10-06 at 14:50 +0000, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> Just built the current snapshot of gaf. These are my first impressions.

[snip]

> * Dialogs remember their size, which is a real improvement, but not their
> position. Is there a reason for this omission?

Pragmatically moving windows isn't always honoured by window managers,
and we've found that the code which works on one doesn't always work on
the other. Ideally you want to set the position before showing the
dialog before its visible, but it appears this works less frequently
than we'd like.

Can you report what OS and Window manager you're using please?

> * I like the less flashy way connections of nets show up now. This will
> make it easier to spot unwanted dangling ends. How about larger red spots
> at the end of open pins?

I could point you in the right direction if you want to modify that.
You'll have to recompile + reinstall libgeda + gschem.

Edit libgeda/include/defines.h

On line 88 (ish), you'll see:

/* various visual cue sizes (in mils) */
#define CUE_BOX_SIZE 		30
#define CUE_CIRCLE_SMALL_SIZE	30
#define CUE_CIRCLE_LARGE_SIZE	60

Edit CUE_BOX_SIZE and recompile things.

> * The new component chooser is a whole lot better than the old one.
> However, there is it still room for improvement. E.g. it fails to descend
> into subdirectories like almost any file chooser does.

Some hierarchy would be nice I'll admit, however the libraries list on
the left hand side is not about directories. Its about component
sources, and those are a flat list - each happening to correspond to a
directory full of symbols in the current gEDA.

Anyway, enough of my excuses stating _why_ it is the way it is. Perhaps
it is something we can improve with time. One thing to remember though..
the component selector is not a file chooser, so won't always act like
one.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,