Re: gEDA-user: Updating footprints in place

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 12:14:12 -0400, Randall Nortman wrote:

> If I have made a change to a footprint, is there an easy way to update a
> layout that uses that footprint, the way gschem can update embedded
> symbols?  That is, replace the element on the layout with the new
> footprint, using the same position and rotation.

No, there is not, but I wish, there was.

> In the
> worst case, I think some cut & paste with a text editor on the pcb file
> is probably easier than trying to do it manually in the GUI and get
> everything lined up properly

I have not resorted to the editor approach yet. My workaround procedure
looks like this:
  1) remove the footprint in question
  2) run gsch2pcb
  3) load-element-data-to-paste-buffer (like you do after you changed
     the schematics.
  4) rotate and move the footprint manually, guided by rats.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
http://lilalaser.de/blog