Re: gEDA-user: Updating footprints in place

This question has come up in the past.  Dig back in the archives and
look for a posting from David Rowe.  He generated a script which can do
footprint replacement in certain situations.  It may be available from
his web site.  I have used it with success with a number of surface
mount footprints.

Caveats: make sure the file formats (co-ordinates etc.) are the same for
the old and new footprint.
Keep a backup copy of your original file!
Full disclosure: I contributed some tweaks to this script - if it breaks
you can blame me:).

Joe T