gEDA-user: User library

Hello,
I have not found a good way to set up my library, that is footprint that
I need to make. At the present time I made the following directory:
~/geda/project (for schematics layouts), ~/geda/pcb-elements (my
creation), ~/geda/footprint (for footprints downloaded), all this work
OK, but I would like to be able to see the footprint picture like the in
the original library the comes with pcb, there is time when I cannot
remember the part name, see the picture would help.
In the past I tried to add my footprint in the original library
directory, that didn't work because I lose every time i make new update.
It would be OK if I could make a new directory within the same library
then I can save the directory before update or new installation which I
tried but the directory does not show.
Is there way to add parts and be able to view them when hi-light?
Vinny