Re: gEDA-user: sym files sorting

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 21:34:12 -0700, Steven Michalske <smichalske@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On Sep 22, 2009, at 7:34 AM, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
>
>> The gschem gui seems to append new items to the bottom of the file.
>> As a
>> consequence, symbols done with the GUI are a pain to edit in a text
>> editor. Pins mix with comments and attributes in no particular
>> order. It
>> would be nice, if the internals were sorted by type, by value, and/
>> or by
>> position.
>>
>> Did anyone write a script to sort the internals of a sym file?
>>

> Keep in mind what happens to the files in a revision control system,
> sorting might not be the best option.
>
> Or would it help the revision control systems, after an initial sort
> nightmare ;-P
>
> If we do sort them, I'd vote for alphabetical on keyname.

How about just trying to make sure (as PCB does) that editing a
schematic/symbol element keeps it in the same place in the file?

That would automatically make it much more SCM-friendly.  It might even be
*more* SCM-friendly than sorting (consider if you move an element: it might
move to somewhere else in the file if you sort by location, but if you keep
everything in strict added-to-file order then only the line with the
location coords on will change.)

How about adding the ability to "prettify" a schematic/symbol file to
gschlas?

Cheers,

Peter

--