gEDA-user: gEDA 1.6: --enable-doxygen seems to have no effect

Output of

./configure --help

says

--enable-doxygen        generate Doxygen API documentation

But I get no additional files with this option, when I give it in the
top level directory.

I get

>checking for doxygen... doxygen

but also

>Type: make doxygen  to create doxygen documentation for libgeda

Is it the intended behavior that  --enable-doxygen alone has no effect?
So I have to go in the subdirectories and call "make doxygen" there?

I have no idea, I have never seen doxygen generated documentation, and I
do not need it. But I think that the Gentoo ebuild should support the
generation.

Best regards

Stefan Salewski