Re: gEDA-user: More eye-candy

On 15/10/09 05:25, Peter Clifton wrote:
> I think it takes a good board to show off the potential benefits of the
> 3D view, so I've made another screen-shot.
>
> The board is by John Bass (jbass@xxxxxxxx), Copyright 2007 DMS Design.
>
> http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/pcb+gl_3d/pcb+gl_3d-6.png
>

> I don't have any>2 layer designs myself.
>

> Best wishes,
>
> Peter C.

Whoa, that's awesome! Are there any plans to add support for realistic
component meshes? The ability to show someone the final product without
ever touching a component would be awesome.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, it shouldn't be _too_
difficult to add code for; the 3D component model would just need some
metadata to state where, in 2D space, each pin/pad is, the pinnumber of
each of those pins/pads, a single coordinate for the vertical pin/pad
location for all pins/pads (since it's safe to assume all components can
fit on a plane), and a reference to the filename of the 2D footprint the
model fits to. The default rotation for the models should be the same as
for their matching footprints to minimise the post-processing needed,
and from there on it's trivial to line up the first pin/pad of the model
with the first pin/pad of the footprint. The DRC code to test pin
alignment and model collisions also wouldn't be amazingly complex.
Another benefit of this all is that allows a height parameter for DRC.

But blergh, now I'm rambling about something that probably won't happen
anyway.

~Peter