Re: gEDA-user: Information on PCB

On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 12:17 -0400, Tony Radice wrote:
> Hey!
>     A couple of questions on the PCB Tool -
>
> 1) Is there a specific person / team to whom requests or suggestions for
> enhancements may be sent (for those of us who are code-impaired,,,) ?

I think the problem is that there are so many wishes but only few people
who have the knowledge and time to code. So we may consider coding it
ourself or donating to the fund.

> 2) Is there some release-notes area where enhancements already in
> progress are noted?

Watching this list is a good start.

> I am finding that this tool is an excellent investment of time to learn,
> but there are areas that I would at least like to note and suggest for
> future features - such as:
>
> a) A button to "flip" the board to the bottom work - ie: left to right
> and setting the component side to the more passive colors..., first
> preference for selection of objects on the bottom.

Flip is available by TAB key.

> b) A selection option to turn off reference designators, but leave the
> silk screen boundaries alone.

"H" key hides the text, I think SHIFT H for a selection of elements.

> c) In the netlist / net window: A Selection (per net) button that
> survives the "Optimize" function to "Hide" the net. (Specific: Turn off
> the GND and power rats while doing placement - since they will be
> handled by internal planes.) Yes, I am not turning off my internal
> planes.

You can double click on entries in the netlist window to hide nets.

> Finally - a question: When I turn the layer that I will be using for
> ground "On" I see voids where the pads for components I am placing on
> the "back" side of the board appear. I obviously do NOT want to have
> voids. Is this a "normal" thing"? (I have yet to check my gerbers...)

Sorry, too complicated for me