Re: gEDA-user: .pcb question

On Sunday 25 October 2009, Peter Clifton wrote:
>On Sun, 2009-10-25 at 07:55 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> Does geda have a .pcb file viewer, such as is output by the ExpressPCB
>> free software for windows?  I've got a small tabletop milling machine,
>> and have been asked to do a board that is about half the size of a
>> postage stamp.
>
>No viewer.. just ".pcb". Are you looking for a linux / windows version?

linux if possible, I am not a wine expert, and the only windows here are made
out of real glass. :)

>(PCB has a windows installer available on sourceforge.net).
>
>> And, if so, can it convert a .pcb into a couple of .ngc's for feeding a
>> milling machine, one for each side of the board?
>
>The nearest it outputs is gerber - for photoplotters. That won't be
>what you need to drive a mill.
>
>You need something like: https://sourceforge.net/projects/gerbertogcode/

Well, if this 'PCB' can output gerbers, I'll give the above a look.

>But I've never tried it, so don't know how (well) it works. It lists as
>"alpha" on sourceforge, so might be somewhat buggy.

Something I might be able to contribute to if I knew gerber's code as I am
moderately familiar with .ngc code.

>Best wishes,
>
>Peter C.

Thank you very much Peter. When I have something usable, I'll report back if
CRS doesn't get to me.  Considering the years on the carcass here, 75, that
is a possibility.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)