Re: gEDA-user: .pcb viewer

On Sunday 25 October 2009, Harry Eaton wrote:
>> Does geda have a .pcb file viewer, such as is output by the ExpressPCB
>> free software for windows?  I've got a small tabletop milling machine,
>> and have been asked to do a board that is about half the size of a
>> postage stamp.
>>
>> And, if so, can it convert a .pcb into a couple of .ngc's for feeding a
>> milling machine, one for each side of the board?
>
>I think there may be some misunderstanding what you are asking here.
>
>I interpret your question to be "The windows program ExpressPCB has
>created a ".pcb" file. Does geda have a viewer for this file?"
>
>Now I don't know anything about ExpressPCB, but it probably creates
>files in its own (probably proprietary) format and gives them a .pcb
>suffix. Geda has a program for designing boards called pcb, and it is
>common practice to use a .pcb suffix for files it produces in its
>(open) native format. It is highly unlikely that there is any
>reasonable similarirty between the two file formats.
>
>So if you have a design created with ExpressPCB that you want to work
>with, I think Peter's answer won't help you. You could instead
>redesign the board using geda's pcb (I can't believe I typed that) and
>then use Peter's suggestions.

And what is the pcb designers cli name?

I think I have all of the geda suite installed, but there is not a pcb
designer in the electronics menu.  Only gerbview, gshem and gattrib seem to
have been installed into the menu's.  F10 system here, on a quad core phenom,
4GB of ram, 2.x terrabytes of drives.
.
>Cheers,
>harry

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife in the shoulder blades will
seriously
cramp his style.