Re: gEDA-user: .pcb question

On Sunday 25 October 2009, John Luciani wrote:
>There is a python script, from the MIT Media Lab, that converts
>Gerber files into a format used by a Roland milling machine.
>The python script is at
>http://web.media.mit.edu/~neilg/fab/dist/cam.py

And massaging that to output RS-274-D stuff might teach me some python, if
that is doable for me.  New stuff seems to be getting more difficult all the
time as half my 7nth decade has rolled on by now.

>I am not sure if the Roland uses NGC or some other format.
>The commands looked a lot plotter control commands to
>me.

Me either, but since its Roland, I'd have to assume its closed.  The only
Roland machines I've seen recently are a pair of graphic plastic sheet
cutters, to make huge signs and such with.  One of my neighbors is in that
business.  No idea if its close enough to English to translate easily, and
since he does all the composition with a Roland supplied windows application,
I have doubts he has ever actually looked at the code going down the cable.

>I brought a couple of Gerber files to try routing a board using the
>milling machine. Unfortunately the CAM program they have only
>understands a subset of the Gerber specification, specifically the
>subset that Eagle outputs :(

Ouch, and my copy of eagle-lite likely doesn't even export gerbers.  It will
not load this file, no errors because no attempt to load it is made. :(

>(* jcl *)

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

If you want to travel around the world and be invited to speak at a lot of
different places, just write a Unix operating system.

   -- Linus Torvalds