Re: gEDA-user: geda-user Digest, Vol 41, Issue 55

On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 14:07 -0700, Mike Bushroe wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. I will try the suggestions. I have gotten many
>    footprints from [1]gedasymbols.org,  and I think I have been  on
>    lucian, too. One question is what folder to download the new foot
>    prints too so that gsch2pcb and pcb can find them. I will look into
>    the idea of keeping a directory of sym links just for a project. That
>    would help with simpler names, too.

As I wrote some days ago:

My current project file looks like this:

stefan@AMD64-X2 ~ $ cat /mnt/data/stefan/gEDA/DAD/p1
schematics FPGA_Power.sch FPGA_B0B1.sch FPGA_B2B3.sch RAM.sch ADC.sch
TDC.sch Digital_In_A.sch Digital_In_B.sch Digital_In_C.sch
InputDividerCh1.sch InputDividerCh2.sch AmplifierCh1.sch
AmplifierCh2.sch Controller.sch PowerManager.sch DC_DC_Converter.sch
Lin_Regulators.sch Misc.sch AmpCommon.sch
output-name b1
skip-m4
elements-dir /usr/local/share/pcb-symbols-jcl_2008-4-25
elements-dir /home/stefan/gEDA/imported-footprints
elements-dir /mnt/data/stefan/gedasymbols/www/user/stefan_salewski/footprints
elements-dir /home/stefan/gEDA/custom-footprints

I do disable m4 footprints with skip-m4 statement (we can do this
because we have newlib copies for all m4 now). Footprint directories
have priority order -- when equal names occur multiple times, the later
entries in the project file have precedence. So files
in  /home/stefan/gEDA/custom-footprints overwrite other files for my
installation.

To access your footprints from PCB program:
Use the File/Preferences/Library dialog.
Please note: Do not specify the directory of your footprints itself,
but the parent directory, as noted in the textbox. So I would give
/home/stefan/gEDA