Re: gEDA-user: Alternative subparts

Karl Hammar wrote:
> n6nz@xxxxxxxx:
>> Karl Hammar wrote:
>>> Is there a way to organize alternative subparts in a project, e.g.
>>> a cpu-card for one user will have one kind a bus-connector and for
>>> another user another bus-connector, but still maintanable as one
>>> project?
>> Sure.  Put the variable parts on different sheets. Then use a different
>> project file when you net list.
>>
>> Like this:
>> customer a: commonsheet01, commonsheet02, customerA_connector_sheet
>> customer b: commonsheet01, commonsheet02, customerB_connector_sheet
>
> Ok, with that you can share shematics, but that is only the first half
> of a solution.
>
> But what if I wanted to share part of the pcb design also?

There isn't a good solution for that.  At best, you could lay out one
PCB, and then convince the netlist tool to treat the netlisting of the
second design as an update, and proceed as if you were simply deleting
and adding parts.

But of course, you end up with two designs that each need to be updated
when changes occur in the common portions of th design.

-dave