Re: gEDA-user: Alternative subparts

n6nz@xxxxxxxx:
> Karl Hammar wrote:
> > Is there a way to organize alternative subparts in a project, e.g.
> > a cpu-card for one user will have one kind a bus-connector and for
> > another user another bus-connector, but still maintanable as one
> > project?
>
> Sure.  Put the variable parts on different sheets. Then use a different
> project file when you net list.
>
> Like this:
> customer a: commonsheet01, commonsheet02, customerA_connector_sheet
> customer b: commonsheet01, commonsheet02, customerB_connector_sheet

Ok, with that you can share shematics, but that is only the first half
of a solution.

But what if I wanted to share part of the pcb design also?

Can I make the common parts into a "compound component", sharing it
(together with its "footprint") like any other component between
projects?

Looking into [1] tells me NO, since "conponent" is valid in schematic
files only. Wich leads me to: Is there an easy way to take the
schematic file for the common parts and to "flatting" it so there is
no "C" (component) in it so I can use it like a lib file?

Regards,
/Karl

[1] http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:file_format_spec?s=file format

Karl Hammar                    Aspö Data               karl@xxxxxxxxxxx
Lilla Aspö 148                                                 Networks
S-742 94 Östhammar          +46  173 140 57                   Computers
Sweden                     +46  70 511 97 84                 Consulting