Re: gEDA-user: Zero length pins

On Sun, 2010-10-03 at 00:08 +0200, kai-martin knaak wrote:

> > but should be able to easily get gEDA to cooperate with these
> > tools,
>
> Which is currently only marginally available. Export of a portable
> graphics format is a very weak form of cooperation. Import is only
> possible in a crippled pixelized way.
>
> ---<)kaimartin(>---

What is your intention? Should gschem support fancy svg graphics like
inkscape? I guess that would make all very complicated. The basic gschem
file format is very simple, lines, circles, arcs, rectangles...
Current version supports pictures and simple paths, which is is more
than necessary in my opinion.

For me, tools should be not overloaded and fat, like OpenOffice and
Mozilla. Keep the tools slim. gschem can never be a powerful svg editor
manipulation like rotating oval arcs can be complicated.

SVG export is easy with cairo, so we can import into inkscape.

Indeed, a "schematics mode" for inkscape may be fine -- teaching
inkscape to understand symbols, pins, nets, attributes. May be possible,
but do we really need that? And a PCB mode, teaching it to watch for
clearance, and do gerber export.

Maybe I missed your real intention, I was not able to follow the whole
discussion, sorry.

Best regards

Stefan Salewski