Re: gEDA-user: PCB layers questions

jbump@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm using version 20080202 (because that's what's in the repo I use.)

What repo?

> When I try to add a new layer, it refuses unless I add the layer into
> or above one of the three component-associated or solder-associated
> layers.  (component, gnd-comp, vcc-comp; solder, gnd-solder,
> vcc-solder)  Once I do that, it associates my new layer with either
> component or solder, even if I go to 'groups' and click on a different
> group number: it reverts to the layer in which it was originally
> created as soon as I close the prefs window.

Although your version of pcb is pretty old, this is likely not the only
cause. Back, when this version was shiny and new, I never experienced the
kind of problem you described. Maybe there is some

> Aside from that, I also don't know how to get pcb to produce gerbers
> from new layers that I add.  If I delete gnd-comp and add a new layer
> called 'outline' -- which it sticks under 'component' and associates
> with that group, as above -- it doesn't produce a gerber for my new
> layer, separate from the 'component' gerber.

Given, that the new layer is  in the component group, this is the expected
behavior. The export produces a separate gerber file  for every layer group.

> What I'd *like*, is a fab notes layer to which I can add text,
> including board dimensions, and an outline layer that contains nothing
> but the board outline, in addition to top, bottom, silk top, silk
> bottom, since my pcb production system requires both of these.

Note, every layer except silk and outline will contain the holes and pins in
the gerbers. This is a consequence of the current concept: "All layers are
copper, except for special magic ones". A switch to a more generallayer
concept is one of the long term goals ...

> Any suggestions/online resources for help?

a) Edit the default layer stack in $HOME/.pcb/preferences with a text
editor. The relevant lines start with "groups = " and "layer-name- ".
Excerpt from my preferences:

/------------------------
groups = 1,2,3,c:4,5,6,s:7:8
route-styles =
Signal,1000,3600,2000,1000:Power,2500,6000,3500,1000:Fat,4000,6000,3500,1000:Skinny,600,2402,1181,600
library-newlib = ~/geda/footprints:$PWD
color-file = /home/kmk/.pcb/colors/kmk
layer-name-1 = top
layer-name-2 = top.-poly.
layer-name-3 = top.-GND
layer-name-4 = bottom
layer-name-5 = bot-polyg.
layer-name-6 = bot.-GND
layer-name-7 = comment
layer-name-8 = outline

b) Download the current source with git and compile the application
 yourself to /usr/local/bin . The developers tend to refrain from using
bleeding edge libraries. So you might well get away with the *.dev packages
from your 2008 repo.

Hope, this helps,

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak                                  tel: +49-511-762-2895
Universität Hannover, Inst. für Quantenoptik      fax: +49-511-762-2211