gEDA-user: PCB layers questions

I'm having trouble with layers in pcb and can't find any relevant info either on the web or in reading back through several hundred archived messages, so I figured I'd just ask.
I'm using version 20080202 (because that's what's in the repo I use.)
When I try to add a new layer, it refuses unless I add the layer into or above one of the three component-associated or solder-associated layers. (component, gnd-comp, vcc-comp; solder, gnd-solder, vcc-solder) Once I do that, it associates my new layer with either component or solder, even if I go to 'groups' and click on a different group number: it reverts to the layer in which it was originally created as soon as I close the prefs window.

Aside from that, I also don't know how to get pcb to produce gerbers from new layers that I add. If I delete gnd-comp and add a new layer called 'outline' -- which it sticks under 'component' and associates with that group, as above -- it doesn't produce a gerber for my new layer, separate from the 'component' gerber.

What I'd *like*, is a fab notes layer to which I can add text, including board dimensions, and an outline layer that contains nothing but the board outline, in addition to top, bottom, silk top, silk bottom, since my pcb production system requires both of these.

Any suggestions/online resources for help?

Thanks

John