Re: gEDA-user: pcb crooked traces

Andrew Poelstra wrote:
As for board limitations, I think that if you are designing boards
bigger than 2m (and cannot make a small board then scale the gerbers
after-the-fact), chances are you've got a 64-bit system.

Of course, then we need to worry about file-format compatibility
between 32- and 64- bit systems...
The files are ASCII text, so the numbers are not in binary anyway.
The only potential problem would arise, if you try to read a 64-bit
generated file with a board bigger than 2m into the 32-bit-app.
Suppose we stored a scaling factor in the .pcb files, of x10, x100,
x254, etc? Then we could use nanometer precision by default and go
bigger if we need a bigger board.
Sounds good for me as a transition path. As stated by others, no factor
or just old version number in the file means x254, then nothing and new version
could mean 1x, any other value means what it says.
The scale factor and a version number of interpretation would be very
practial in new-lib footprint definitions as well: Just say "unit = 1000[nm]"
and write everything in micrometers, saving the numerous "um"s.