Re: gEDA-user: Ben mode feature request

Hi all,

IMHO, openSCAD could be a (FOSS) candidate as well for generating a 3D view
a the board.

It's input file is a script resembling C.

For the user manual see: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenSCAD_User_Manual

Simple components (CAPC et al) could be defined as a module containing a
cube for a body, and two other translated cubes for the leads.

Complicated parts can be assembled by means of conditinal and iterator
functions containing 3D primitives.

PCBoards can be put together by a toplevel script invoking all parts
(modules) and an extruded outline (may even be a DXF file).

I try to work out a proof-of-concept board to investigate the feasibility.

Kind regards,

Bert Timmerman.