Re: gEDA-user: printing a large schematic over several pages

Evan Lavelle wrote:

> Is this possible? I've got an A0 schematic that I want to
> print over 16 pages, using manual cut-and-paste, with an A4
> printer (it's a large block diagram, and it's not really
> suitable for chopping into multiple A4 schematics).
>
> I'm setting the output paper size to A0 in the print dialog
> box. What I had hoped to do was set the paper size to A4 in
> gsview, and then get gsview to print the 16 pages. however,
> this doesn't work - gsview ignores most of the A0 image and
> only processes one corner of it. I think what's needed is
> for gschem to produce a postscript output which explicitly
> has 16 pages in it. Is this possible? If not, can anyone
> suggest a way to do this?
>
> Second question - can I get colour postscript output?

I've found a nice program ('poster') to do the tiling:
http://printing.kde.org/downloads/

For anyone else who needs this:

1) in the print dialog box, enter an output paper size which
is the same as the titleblock size (say A0)

2) poster claims to be happier with eps input, so generate
an eps file from gschem's ps output (this wasn't necessary
for my example)

3) the command:
poster -iA0 -mA4 -pA3 -ooutput.ps input.eps
takes the single A0 eps file, and produces an A3 poster on
A4 media (ie. it produces two A4 sheets which can be pasted
together to give the required A3 output). In my case, the
schematic has to be drawn on A0 to fit everything on, but it
can be viewed as an A3 printout.

It might be nice to get the poster code into gschem; there's
about 1000 lines of source.

Any takers on the colour question?

Evan