gEDA-user: 20030901 build problem for gschem?

> Just downloaded all the .gz's,

I'm getting the following error when trying to build gschem, the problem is that I just
did build libgeda, why is it not being found?  I'm not finding a libgeda.pc any place
after building libgeda?

make all
libgeda Installed
symbols Installed

checking for libgeda >= 20030901... Package libgeda was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libgeda.pc'
No package 'libgeda' found
configure: error: Cannot find libgeda (or libgeda.pc), please install libgeda
bob@bob geda-gschem-20030901

$ ls ../lib

libgeda.a  libgeda.la  libgeda.so  libgeda.so.19  libgeda.so.19.0.0  pkgconfig
bob@bob geda-gschem-20030901 $