Re: gEDA-user: Re: Soldering irons

On Sep 26, 2004, at 10:42 AM, Samuel A. Falvo II wrote:
FYI: the SMTs were easier to solder than the through-holes.  Once I
got them positioned with the tweezers, that it ;-)
What method did you use to solder them? Did you place a blob of solder
on each pin of the 0803, place the part, then reflow the solder? Or did
you just place the part, somehow fix it to the board, then solder?

SOICs and QFPs I can just see running a single bead of solder down each
row of pins (basically a poor man's wave soldering). It's the small
stuff that worries me most.
[answering out of turn, but I'm jumping in because do this type of soldering daily]

The small stuff is actually the easiest. I do it by putting a blob of solder on one of the pads, then pick up the part with tweezers, melt the blob, place the component, then solder the other pad. After you've done a few of them, it really only takes a few seconds.

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire "...it's a matter of how tightly
Cape Coral, FL you pull the zip-tie." -Nadine Miller