Re: gEDA-user: It's alive!

> > I have only one suggestion, allways use oblong pads for TO220, it
> > makes the design and the bulding much more easy, I attached my TO220
> > footprint if someone wiches to take a look.
>
> I had no problem soldering those with my metcal iron ;-)

I see, but oblongue pads makes it much more easyer...

> > But what I really liked is the graphical display, I didnt work with
> > one like this until now, how did they cost?
>
> The LCD with controller was about $100 from seetron.  All the
> intelligence, including graphics primitives, multiple fonts, and
> backlight, are built-in, with only +5 and TTL serial needed.
>
> If I ever decide to redo it ("just because") I'm thinking of an arm9
> controller board with onboard ethernet or wireless, and cpus in the
> thermostats so I can use cheaper LCDs.  Imagine a linux thermostat :-)

Hmm, I think you should take a look at www.gumstix.com with boards using Intel
Xscale processor, at 200MHz with 4M of rom and 64M of ram, costing 100
dollars. Of course, they came with Linux embedded... a friend of mine has
one, when I have a little time I will go to his house to take a look, I am
really curious to see it running....