Re: gEDA-user: Introduction and some questions/thoughts on gEDA/gaf...

Stuart Brorson wrote:
[ . . snip . . ]

Also, I've seen some system level simulators which could work nicely with gschem, but again, lack of hierarchical netlist hampers it some.

Of course in the IC world, hierarchical netlisting is pretty much a requirement.

Bill Cox contributed "gnetman" a year or two ago.  It was supposed to
be an improved netlister which handled hierarchy natively.  I looked
at the code at the time, but couldn't understand it.  This has to do
with my limitations, not necessarily gnetman's.  Perhaps somebody
smarter than I could take a look at gnetman (available off the gEDA
site) and see if it would offer a better base from which to produce a
hierarchical netlister for the purposes you propose?

Just a thought . . . .

Stuart

I need to read up on gnetman and also learn the internals of gnetlist (not the scheme backends, but the c program part). You're right that gnetman does hierarchical netlisting, but I want to understand why one needs to use that rather than making gnetlist do it. I like how easy it is currently to write new gnetlist backends and that you can easily test it out without recompiling. In fact, you can also ship someone the .scm file and they can use it to without recompiling.

-Dan