Re: gEDA-user: OT: Mechanical Cad for Linux

On Monday 12 September 2005 06:29 am, Kovács Levente wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 00:11:50 -0400
>
> Dan McMahill <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I'm not able to suggest alternatives, but I'm curious, what is the
> > problem with qcad?
>
> It segfaults when you turn on the grid... at least for me on Debian
> stable. And the UI is a little bit awkward...
>
> However, this is the only tool for free... :-(
>
> Levente

QCAD does not segfault for us when we turn on the grid (We are using
SuSE 9.2 and 9.3). In fact, it performs as advertised and is a good
2D CAD package. We use QCAD in our design flow and further, like it.
It is easy to use and the UI is not as bad as a lot of 2D CAD packages
that I've seen that cost $. The output is excellent and to scale if you
use a printer that is designed to print with a high degree of accuracy
(In other words, the output is as good as the printer that is used to
produce the output).

Our problem with CAD on Linux is that there are no viable 3D CAD
applications available except those that cost $. Our interest in 3D
CAD is for the purpose of modeling complex designs - Some of the
devices that we build are rather complex and the ability to see what
we have in 3D makes a real difference throughout the entire design
process. Currently, we are looking at purchasing Varicad which
appears, at least on the surface, to do a decent job at 3D. Most likely,
we will be purchasing a couples of Varicad seats before the end of the
month.

Regards

Marvin