Re: gEDA-user: Introduction and some questions/thoughts on gEDA/gaf...

On 9/13/05, Marvin Dickens <marvindickens@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Now, add part numbers to the above list. Part numbers that are shared
> by just about *all* of the manufacturers of chips in the LV family.  Also, I'm
> not going to waste bandwidth naming the different manufacturers just in
> the LV series of logic - Lets just say the number of manufacturers is
> *mind boggling*.

but if you apply Mark's suggestion, then a 74LS04 could be represented
with the tags "74LS" and "74x04": a maximum of X + Y tags instead of X
* Y distinct parts (where X is the number of families, and Y is the
number of logic types).

Then you can add your manufacturer tag, package tag, etc.

The point is that it doesn't make sense to treat parts databases like
an N-dimensional space.

--
- Charles Lepple