Re: gEDA-user: Introduction and some questions/thoughts on gEDA/gaf...

On Tuesday 13 September 2005 11:21 pm, Charles Lepple wrote:
> On 9/13/05, Marvin Dickens <marvindickens@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Now, add part numbers to the above list. Part numbers that are shared
> > by just about *all* of the manufacturers of chips in the LV family.
> > Also, I'm not going to waste bandwidth naming the different manufacturers
> > just in the LV series of logic - Lets just say the number of
> > manufacturers is *mind boggling*.
>
> but if you apply Mark's suggestion, then a 74LS04 could be represented
> with the tags "74LS" and "74x04": a maximum of X + Y tags instead of X
> * Y distinct parts (where X is the number of families, and Y is the
> number of logic types).
>
> Then you can add your manufacturer tag, package tag, etc.
>
> The point is that it doesn't make sense to treat parts databases like
> an N-dimensional space.

Not all glue logic devices are created equal. There are devices made by
different manufacturers that have the same part number that are *not*
interchangeable under all conditions. The pinout is the same- Everything
appears to be the same when you look at the data sheet until you look at the
diagram of the internal logic of how the chip works. In essence, the structure
of the internal logic of a given device that is made by multiple
manufacturers differs. That is,  Unless one manufacturer has granted a
license to another manufacturer to make a device using their logic and
process. So, tags don't work - They just cover up the problem.

Also, this issue goes way beyond glue logic into many other families of
devices.

Regards

Marvin