Re: gEDA-user: Introduction and some questions/thoughts on gEDA/gaf...

On 9/13/05, Marvin Dickens <marvindickens@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Not all glue logic devices are created equal. There are devices made by
> different manufacturers that have the same part number that are *not*
> interchangeable under all conditions. The pinout is the same- Everything
> appears to be the same when you look at the data sheet until you look at the
> diagram of the internal logic of how the chip works. In essence, the structure
> of the internal logic of a given device that is made by multiple
> manufacturers differs. That is,  Unless one manufacturer has granted a
> license to another manufacturer to make a device using their logic and
> process. So, tags don't work - They just cover up the problem.

This point seems orthogonal to mine.  I thought we were talking about
a part browser, and the best way to arrange the library to find
desired parts.

If parts from different manufacturers have significant differences in
behavior, then of course they will need to be distinct parts --
regardless of whether you have a heirarchy or tags system.  In fact,
allow me to assert the tags system will still work better.

Unless you are propsing an *inheritance* system, where you would
define a basic part and then subclass it for each manufacturer's
specific characteristics.  *shudder*

Regards,
Mark
markrages@gmail
--
You think that it is a secret, but it never has been one.
  - fortune cookie