Re: gEDA-user: Introduction and some questions/thoughts on gEDA/gaf...

On 9/13/05, Marvin Dickens <marvindickens@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I absolutely agree with you. Common sense tells me that the KISS
> principle should be applied when designing the directory structure.
> Also, I agree with you that inheritance would create a mess. OTOH,
> this is a complex issue that is not simple - I'm not sure exactly how
> tags could totally solve this issue. If you could, please explain.
>
> Regards
>
> Marvin

I am just proposing a system where individual components could have a
number of tags added.

Consider an alaogy.  Say I have a bunch of photos on my computer that
I want to organize.  I make a folder called "family" and a folder
called "motorcycles".  All is good until I come across a picture of my
wife on a motorcycle.  Which folder does it go in?  I've reached a
limit of heirarchical representation.  With tags, I can tag it
'family' and 'motorcycle' and maybe a couple of other things.  Then to
find a specific photo, I don't drill down through folders.  I just
search for a tag.  To find similar photos I can click on a tag.  I
don't have to worry about the filesystem location of the photo I found
-- all the photos can dump into one big directory.  The tag database
is how I find and organize the photos.

For an example of this in action, poke around flickr.com a little bit.

Regards,
Mark
markrages@gmail
--
You think that it is a secret, but it never has been one.
  - fortune cookie