Re: gEDA-user: Introduction and some questions/thoughts on gEDA/gaf...

Not all glue logic devices are created equal. There are devices made by
different manufacturers that have the same part number that are *not*
interchangeable under all conditions. The pinout is the same- Everything
appears to be the same when you look at the data sheet until you look at the
diagram of the internal logic of how the chip works. In essence, the structure of the internal logic of a given device that is made by multiple manufacturers differs. That is, Unless one manufacturer has granted a license to another manufacturer to make a device using their logic and process. So, tags don't work - They just cover up the problem.

Also, this issue goes way beyond glue logic into many other families of devices.

To add to what Marvin said, I have first hand seen where two vendors of a particular comparator were not the same because the ESD protection was significantly better from one vendor than another. Learned the hard way when purchasing "saved some money".

This isn't limited to semiconductors by any stretch. Take an electrolytic capacitor of a particular capacitance and voltage rating. Now see how many variations in ESR (causes internal heating if you're using this in a switching power supply app), quoted lifetime, temperature at which that lifetime is quoted at, etc. Of course the symbol can always be the same.

What I've seen in at least one large company is the CAD libraries are all organized by internal part number anyway. In other words, if you want a "1206 size, metal film, 1/8W, 1% 4.99k ohm resistor", you simply instantiate a "192837.sym" which you know because you have some silly notebook on your desk listing all the common passives you use and you have the internal part number database open to search for the semiconductors.

Something which is missing is a means to have a component have 1 extra level of hierarchy though. I'd like to be able to create a single, for example, NPN symbol. Then create a library of components which all use that symbol but each element in the library also then contains information on what package to use, a mapping from package pin to symbol pin (package #1 -> symbol 'e', package #2 -> symbol 'b', package #3 -> symbol 'c'). This way I don't end up copying the actual graphic symbol 50 times. It would also be nice to be able to associate some information on how it should netlist for different targets. That might make it easier to truely support multiple simulators as well as pcb.

I think at some point gschem may need to start storing elements both by the symbol name and the library from whence it came. Currently the library search path matters, and its only a matter of time I think until this starts to cause grief.

-Dan