Re: gEDA-user: Free Dog meeting report: Notes on the topics we discussed

On 9/17/05, Bob Paddock <bob.paddock@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have seen the setting up of Wiki's kill list contributions as some prefer
> one over the other.  It comes down to if you prefer push or pull styles of
> getting information.  Personally I prefer to have the info pushed via list in
> my direction.  I don't have time to go pull it from all of the Wiki's that
> I'd like to monitor.

Indeed; I *love* wikis, but the two fora are quite different in purpose.

I find wikis are best suited for fully fleshed out articles (e.g.,
like Wikipedia), and "thread-mode" discussions on wikis are generally
considered bad form.  A mailing list, however, is best suited for
thread-mode discussions, but are generally rather poor for things like
FAQs, articles, etc.

The nice thing about a wiki, though, is that most thread-mode
discussions can, after a suitable gestation period, be refactored into
articles.

> > THe problem is spam, and how to control/prohibit spammers from writing
> > garbage to the gEDA Wiki?

Use a wiki that allows only registered users to post.  Alternatively,
perhaps even preferably, use a wiki that presents a graphic image with
some random characters that the user must repeat in a form field in
order to get the post accepted.  C2's wiki is using the latter system
to control spam contributions now, as in order to spam, it now takes a
real human being to do it.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II