Re: gEDA-user: Re: putting spice commands and options in gschem

On Wednesday 21 September 2005 12:12, Stuart Brorson wrote:
>> Just to put the record straight (just in case), I did try google a
>> little.
>
>Excellent!  I stand corrected!
>
>> Which made me try the spice-directive-1.sym and
>> spice-model-1.sym from "spice" library components in gschem. These
>> allowed me to include a file, or so it seems since I couldn't make it
>> to work for I couldn't find detailed documentation on these components
>> on the web.
>
>It's been a while since I used spice-sdb, but I think you can use the
>spice-include-1.sym symbol to include some arbitrary SPICE cards into
>teh netlist.  Try "gnetlist -h" to see what the behavior of the
>include symbol is.  Also, the spice-directive-1.sym symbol will insert
>arbitrary SPICE cards into your netlist.  Note that since
>attributes can have multiple lines, you can use one symbol to put
>several cards (lines) of SPICE statements into your netlist.
>
>> So, yes I am a newbie, but not clueless. I did try google, but maybe
>> not *thoroughly*. There is a whole lot of documentation about spice,
>> but I haven't been able to find a whole lot on gschem. Will give yours
>> a try.
>
>My document about spice-sdb is included with the gEDA distribution, as
>well as being available on the web.  I am not against answering
>questions, and am always happy to help somebody who has made an honest
>to help himself effort first.
>
>As for this morning's little flame-fest, I do think that calls to
>improve the documentation are best answered with a request for
>participation.  I have contributed a number of docs to the gEDA
>project, as well as code.  Interestingly, I have received (and
>gratefully incorporated) lots of patches to my code (including to
>spice-sdb), but I have almost never received patches to my
>documentation.  I get suggestions, but no patches.  If open-source
>stuff is not well documented, it's apparently because most open-source
>developers just can't be bothered to write documentation, or even
>submit patches against existing documents.  Why is that?
>
>Stuart

I can't answer that Stuart.  But I do know it seems to be endemic,
and is probably the cause of at least half the messages on any
mailing list thats open source related.  The other half is in the
innate laziness of all of us who would rather use this new invention
called the internet, than print out the docs and spend a couple of
lazy evenings absorbing them.  And as I get older, that seems to be
less productive because of short term memory problems generally
blamed on geriatric brains.

But if we could fix it with a pluck of the magic twanger, it sure
would help the open source cause, a lot.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)