Re: gEDA-user: Lead Free at home?

On Monday 22 August 2005 10:53, Marvin Dickens wrote:
>On Monday 22 August 2005 05:41 am, Dave wrote:
>> > Lead is not the only metal that prohibits the growth of tin
>> > whiskers. In fact, silver, palladium and copper all prohibit the
>> > growth of tin whisker as good or better (specifically, Sliver and
>> > palladium) than lead. When
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> I think Kool-amp powder is a better solution for homebrewers as it's
>> (at least for me) more convenient and much less hazardous than the
>> recipies you posted.  The only drawback seems to be that it's pricy
>> stuff.
>
>Indeed, thiorea is dangerous when handled with impunity.

Where can one find out about this?  As a broadcast engineer, and a
handloader, I've often used a preparation called (IIRC) TarnX, which
has this in it as its main ingredient.  My history of using it goes
back 45+ years and other than the stink & skin feelings which usually
wash off with enough running water, I've not noted any side effects
on my health that were obvious enough to play connect the dots for me.
I've no idea how one would go about cleaning up dirty silver in a
transmitter without it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)