gEDA-user: gEDA install on SuSE 9.3 -- what am I missing?

I sorry if I'm a little slow, but I didn't think a new installation on SuSE 9.e would be so much trouble. And I suspect this was discussed on the list when I wasn't paying attention.

The 20050830 distribution installer seems to look for the presence of installed packages in a different place than where SuSE keeps them. Can someone clue me into where the differences are?

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Marshall Jose, WA3VPZ