Re: gEDA-user: gEDA install on SuSE 9.3 -- what am I missing?

On Wednesday 28 September 2005 08:28, Marshall Jose wrote:
> Stuart, thanks for your reply. Actually, I'm starting out with a fresh
> installation of SuSE 9.3.
>
> An example of what I'm talking about is wxGTK, which SuSE's package
> manager (YaST2) insists is installed. Yet the gEDA installer doesn't
> detect the gtk-config file. So, I'm thinking the installer isn't looking
> in the right place, but I can't figure out what place that is.
>
> Then, when I try to install a package by hand, I get noise from
> ./configure that it can't find glib-config, etc. After going back and
> forth in this effort, I got the impression Novell made some unilateral
> moves with SuSE, starting with 9.x, regarding obsolescence of gtk+ 1.x
> and such. I hope I'm wrong.
>
> Is there anyone who was successful with a SuSE 9.x installation of gEDA?

I have most of gEDA installed on SuSE 9.3, but I had the same issues you are
having.  A few of the problems I have not been able to work around.

With YAST I had to pull in gcc, ncurses-devel, termcap, glade, flex, bison,
libxml2-devel.  gSpiceUI still will not build.  Everything else did,
according to my notes.  It was gScheme and PCB that I was most interested in.

The gtk-config problem I solved, hmmm, I can't find it in my notes.  Yast
shows a gtk compatibility library, but it gave me problems so I removed it.
One of the gtk libraries installed /opt/gnome/bin/gtk-config, and then the
installer was much happier.  I think installing glade was one of the things
that made a lot of things pass that had earlier failed, but that is from
memory, not from my notes.

Regards,
Daniel