Re: gEDA-user: gEDA install on SuSE 9.3 -- what am I missing?

On Wednesday 28 September 2005 02:17 pm, Daniel Wisehart wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 September 2005 08:28, Marshall Jose wrote:
> > Stuart, thanks for your reply. Actually, I'm starting out with a fresh
> > installation of SuSE 9.3.
> >
> > An example of what I'm talking about is wxGTK, which SuSE's package
> > manager (YaST2) insists is installed. Yet the gEDA installer doesn't
> > detect the gtk-config file. So, I'm thinking the installer isn't looking
> > in the right place, but I can't figure out what place that is.

> > Then, when I try to install a package by hand, I get noise from
> > ./configure that it can't find glib-config, etc. After going back and
> > forth in this effort, I got the impression Novell made some unilateral
> > moves with SuSE, starting with 9.x, regarding obsolescence of gtk+ 1.x
> > and such. I hope I'm wrong.

Well, your not wrong. Although, the upgrade isn't that bad. As long time SuSE
user, since 9.1, I've had to install, from source, GTK+ 1.x in order to
compile gEDA. SuSE, like RedHat, screws around with some of the libs to
"fix" them so they work the way SuSE thinks they should. The upside is, at
least for us, is that SuSE gives us less trouble than all of the other
distributions.

In our case, the source of problems with the other distributions has been that
upgrading with source packages, RPM's, APT-GET and portage ultimately breaks
other software. SuSE only gives us problems on the from end of an
installation: Never on the backend.

> > Is there anyone who was successful with a SuSE 9.x installation of gEDA?

 I've been successful.

> I have most of gEDA installed on SuSE 9.3, but I had the same issues you
> are having.  A few of the problems I have not been able to work around.
>
> With YAST I had to pull in gcc, ncurses-devel, termcap, glade, flex, bison,
> libxml2-devel.  gSpiceUI still will not build.

What does gcc complain with? Perhaps, I can help: I've got everything running
on 9.2 and 9.3.

> Everything else did,
> according to my notes.  It was gScheme and PCB that I was most interested
> in.
>
> The gtk-config problem I solved, hmmm, I can't find it in my notes.  Yast
> shows a gtk compatibility library, but it gave me problems so I removed it.

Yeah, that thing is a piece of binary excrement and has never worked for us.

Regards

Marvin