Re: gEDA-user: Python-based footprint creation library

On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 02:28:45PM -0500, Darrell Harmon wrote:
[...]
> Have you seen my python footprint generator? It has a rather bad
> interface, but it works. http://dlharmon.com/geda/footgen.html
> You are welcome to take whatever you want from it.

I had not seen that, but now I have.  At first glance, your library
seems far more developed than my little newborn.  I am already
knee-deep in other work at the moment, but I will take a closer look
at this next time I need to create some footprints.

> I have had the thought of doing a gsch2pcb replacement in python.
> Time is the only reason I have not. It would still need to support
> newlib footprints because I modify some difficult parts using
> either pcb or emacs.

I've thought about this too, but gsch2pcb seems to work quite well.  I
use it along with my python code by pre-generating newlib footprints
and putting them in a local directory that gsch2pcb grabs them from.
It works well enough.  I would be more likely to patch it to invoke my
python scripts with arguments before I rewrote the whole thing, even
though I dislike Perl in general.  (And I used to be a real Perl
fanatic.)

Randall