Re: gEDA-user: Professional PCB help using geda?

On Thursday 06 September 2007 01:40:24 am Larry Doolittle wrote:

> It only lacks support for ideas such as buried,
> > blind or micro vias,...
>
> Call me weird or old-school, but I avoid all those things like the
> plague.  They add cost, risk, yield, schedule, and availability
> problems.  If a board can't be laid out on a plain-old 6-layer pcb
> (OK, maybe 8 or 10 in a pinch), you didn't architect it right.

I just had to resort to Protel due to lack of blind via's in PCB.

Perhaps there was a better way to architect it "right", but I could
not come up with one.  I had six sixteen segment LED SMT displays, which
covered 100% of the surface area of one side of the board, board
had to be the same size as the displays to fit in the case. The other
side of the board was covered with driver chips and transistors.
That left no room for all of the traces on the outside layers,
and next to no room for vias.