Re: gEDA-user: PCB problems

On Saturday 08 September 2007, Harold D. Skank wrote:
> I need to emphasize that I have my machine loaded to maximum
> memory capacity.  Can anyone suggest a rationale short of a
> different machine that I might be able to use to improve
> machine performance?

I haven't tried this, but here's a thought.

Since you say it is AMD-64, I am assuming you are using 64 bit
mode.

What happens if you use 32 bit mode?

My rationale ...

In 64 bit mode, pointers are 8 bits.  In 32 bit mode, pointers
are 4 bits.  This may save enough memory to get out of
swapping.

Linux swapping does not work well for large jobs.  If you want
reasonable performance, your whole job must fit in physical
memory.