Re: gEDA-user: buzzing board

>    True. :-( You might be able to temporarily shield that inductor,
> but that's a shot in the dark.

The only thing I can think of is to remove the input diode for the
switcher (to power it down) and feed it 3.3 from an LDO through the
test point, and see if that makes a difference.  I do *not* expect
I'll be able to remove any of the SMT parts therein; I'd need to get
it on the hotplate to do that, and the through-hole parts preclude
that.

Not tonight, though :-P

> > PCB traces?
>
>    Yes, they can actually resonate.  I know you've been working with
> desktop computers for a very long time (I used DJGPP in ~1992)...have
> you ever noticed a "squealing" sound coming from a machine when it's
> busy, changing with processor activity?  Sometimes that's the power
> supply, but it's usually traces on the motherboard.

The only "cpu busy" sounds I've ever heard are when there's an AM
radio around the CPU.  And I know my hearing is good; I can hear when
the monitors are on (15.75KHz).  And I can hear this sound too, even
across the room, and my wife says she doesn't hear it at all unless
she puts her ear next to it.