Re: gEDA-user: buzzing board

On Sep 12, 2007, at 9:34 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

> The PCB for my alarm clock buzzes.
>

> 2. What kind of components *can* make that kind of noise?
>
> 3. If you know what's causing it, how do I fix it?

Once upon a time I was at the local rock venue doing a soundcheck and
one of the musicians on stage said, "Hey, there's a weird buzz coming
from the monitors."  I picked up my talkback mic and said, "Really?
What does it sound like?" and then he said, "Huh ... it just went away."

I put down the talkback and then he said, "Hey, it's back."  I picked
up the talkback, said, "Huh!" and he said, "Now it's gone."  I put
the talkback down again, and he said, "it's baaaaaaaack!"

The talkback was not muted but it was routed only to the stage
monitors, so I couldn't hear the buzz.  Turns out that I put the
talkback mic on top of a Lexicon MIDI Remote Control box.  I soloed
the talkback into my headphones, and heard the buzz.  I picked up the
mic and the buzz went away.  Put it back onto the MRC, and the buzz
came back.  Hmmmm ... and the buzz was worst when it was right on top
of the MRC's LCD.  Very weird.

-a