Re: gEDA-user: geda install on Ubuntu

On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 13:54 -0500, Ed & Angie S. wrote:
> Peter,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> My initial email was lacking that I am trying to install from the gEDA
> 20070221 CD.  My new Ubuntu machine will be my second gEDA installation and
> I would like it to be the same version of gEDA as my original debian
> machine.
>
> I thought the installer installed the dependencies the first time through
> but I guess it didn't.   I have subsequently installed the following
> packages using aptitude:

It is always best to install the distributions version of these packages
if possible. I'm not familiar with where the installer CD puts them, but
it would have to be elsewhere than /usr/bin /usr/lib etc.. to avoid
conflicts with ubuntu's package managed versions.

> guile1.6-dev
> libwxgtk2.8-dev
> tcl8.4
> tcl8.4-dev
> tk8.4
> tk8.4-dev
> libgtk2.0-dev
> libreadline5-dev
> flex
> bison
> gperf
> libjpeg62-dev
>
> I then re-ran the installer and geda/gaf seems to have installed ok.  pcb,
> ngspice, gnucap, icarus, and gspiceui are not installed correctly yet.  I
> would like to get them all working but pcb is my critical issue for an
> ongoing project.  I have attached the install.log and pcb config.log files.
>
> The installer no longer asks if I want to install any software so I'm hoping
> I am far closer to working than I was previously.  However, the Install.log
> file indicates that my machine is missing gtk-config.  I've found some
> discussion on this issue but I'm still not sure what to do or if I need this
> with libgtk2.0-dev installed.

gtk-config was from back in the gtk-1.x days. It "might" be that the
installer is trying to install an old app which wants it - in which
case, try:

sudo apt-get install libgtk1.2-dev

> For pcb, the error indicates that my gd installation does not include
> support for jpeg.  For other programs the message "error trying to exec
> 'cc1plus': execvp: No such file or directory" seems to be a problem.  I
> suspect I'm missing some required packages but I'm not sure what to install
> to fix these problems.

ok - next step for PCB, get hold of a copy of libgd which has jpeg
support. I have libgd2-xpm-dev installed:

sudo apt-get install libgd2-xpm-dev

with the cc1plus error, it looks like you might not have a C++ compiler
installed. Try:

sudo apt-get install g++

> Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Let us know how it goes. Ubuntu takes a little bit of apt-get install
bootstrapping to become a usable development platform, however its
pretty good once you've got the required packages.

Regards,

Peter C.